The Happy Slave

This is my surrender to the Powers that Be, who wish we all were just happy little slaves, tooling along without a care in the world, doing what our better-educated masters tell us to do, not daring to step out of line. I'm so bad at surrender...

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, United States

I'm an old-fashioned Get-out-of-my-face-atarian. So long as the gubmint left me alone, I had no problems with it. Gubmint wants to run my life, so I'm doing something about it. (Not just blogging, either.)

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Fair taxes vs. "Fair Tax".

Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to alienate the few remaining totalitarian Libertarians who aren't already burning me in effigy. I do not like Fair Tax. There, I said it, and I said it in public. I don't like it, I just don't like it. It stinks. The Mises Institute explains it all better on many levels than I could, with one exception. In addition to all the problems mentioned for the Fair Tax and inherent in any consumption tax in general, the "Fair Tax" has an inherent unfairness built into it. It exempts properties used for "investment" purposes. Where one exemption is permitted, another will be permitted, and the exemptions will be stretched. Once again, government will shift tax burdens around until we're as bad or worse off than before. Likewise any tax exemption is merely a form of social engineering, and how could any libertarian of any stripe approve of social engineering on the part of government? Finally, Fair Tax and all similar proposals are foredoomed if they are meant to fix the economic drain that is our government. None of these proposals have any sort of mandatory spending cuts built in. All Fair Tax does is redesign how the money is extorted from people. In other words, Fair Tax is ultimately rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Not only will it turn out to be useless, but it will be a deadly distraction from actually dealing with the real problem, out-of-control and bloated government.