The Happy Slave

This is my surrender to the Powers that Be, who wish we all were just happy little slaves, tooling along without a care in the world, doing what our better-educated masters tell us to do, not daring to step out of line. I'm so bad at surrender...

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, United States

I'm an old-fashioned Get-out-of-my-face-atarian. So long as the gubmint left me alone, I had no problems with it. Gubmint wants to run my life, so I'm doing something about it. (Not just blogging, either.)

Friday, March 10, 2006

Guess who grew a pair.

Evidently, there are a few Europeans left who have not had their entire spinal columns surgically removed. As of today, the European Union has told the new Palestinian government that Hamas had better change its tune if it wants to keep riding the gravy train. From what I had seen from Europe in the last few decades, this has come as a complete surprise to me, a very pleasant surprise, but a complete one. For decades, Europeans have adopted a quite mindless, knee-jerk support for anyone and everyone who hated Israel, the more violently, the better. In essence, they had become nothing but the blindly reflexive opposite of the Christian Zionist Amen Corner we have here in the USA.

Likewise, the severely shameful kowtowing of European leaders to terrorist religious fanatics over a few stupid cartoons certainly would lead a reasonable person to presume that Europe had simply decided to blithely go along with whatever Islamic extremism wants to do.

But maybe there still is hope for Eurpean civilization. Perhaps Europe has remembered that, in order to remain civilized, one must sometimes stand up to barbarians. We can only hope that this is the case, that Europe's strong words will be accompanied by strong acts.