The Happy Slave

This is my surrender to the Powers that Be, who wish we all were just happy little slaves, tooling along without a care in the world, doing what our better-educated masters tell us to do, not daring to step out of line. I'm so bad at surrender...

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, United States

I'm an old-fashioned Get-out-of-my-face-atarian. So long as the gubmint left me alone, I had no problems with it. Gubmint wants to run my life, so I'm doing something about it. (Not just blogging, either.)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hatred for mothers.

Okay, I admit to supposedly being a noncombatant in these "mommy wars", but what is with some of these psychotics? Isn't part of the whole "feminism" schtick a claim that women should be "empowered" to make their own choices? Ah, but that's just it, establishment feminism is not a political philosophy, it's a religious cult. Like all cults, its heart is dogmatics and tyranny, not actual enlightened political action. According to the establishment of academia-dominated feminism, women should be "free" but only "free" to agree with the totalitarian party line. I'm glad to see that some people understand that the entire anti-mother party line of feminism is a load of rotting rubbish. Yes, there is an enormous burden on working mothers. But psychotic cultists like Linda Hirshman start sounding like the most retrogressive of hardcore chauvinist pigs when they start blaming the mothers for workplace discrimination against them. What next? Is she going to start saying that rape victims "brought it all on themselves"? Hirshman's bizarre claims about women who choose to be stay-at-home mothers are without limit or sanity. As far as she is concerned, stay-at-home mothers should never have bothered with a good university education. Evidently, Hirshman believes that an educated mother is pretty much worthless to her children. Evidently, Hirshman believes that there is no such thing as grass-roots political or community activity. Evidently, Hirshman is a perfect example of the out-of-touch, elitist, ivory-tower cultist who likes to pretend to be "enlightened" or "progressive". And I'm not the only person to say it.

Before anyone's knee-jerk tendencies take over, I am not claiming that political cultism is necessarily a "liberal" or "leftist" trait, although cultish feminism certainly is a flaw of the Left. I was blessed to meet and get to know some decidedly left-wing women in my life who likewise made the free choice to be stay-at-home mothers, and they were punished for it by their alleged "sisters", even as they raised the new generation of leftists.

And, truth be told, I've got a personal axe to grind in this matter. During my decade spent in Ithaca, New York, I got to witness her suffer through the way that "enlightened" people treated her for daring to not adhere to their bigoted little worldviews. At least one good thing did come of that--I got to see that liberals are no less prone to prejudice and narrow-mindedness than are conservatives. They're just snootier about rationalizing it. What's really sad are the mothers who are so heavily indoctrinated that they run the risk of alienating themselves from their own daughters when those daughters "fail" to make the "politically correct" decision about their lives. Freedom to choose must be free to not agree with some establishment pseudo-progressive dogma or it is not freedom at all.