The Happy Slave

This is my surrender to the Powers that Be, who wish we all were just happy little slaves, tooling along without a care in the world, doing what our better-educated masters tell us to do, not daring to step out of line. I'm so bad at surrender...

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, United States

I'm an old-fashioned Get-out-of-my-face-atarian. So long as the gubmint left me alone, I had no problems with it. Gubmint wants to run my life, so I'm doing something about it. (Not just blogging, either.)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tar, feathers, a rail.

"And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away"

John Prine's words are every bit as relevant today as when he wrote them. Indy's little bit of "Paradise" has come thanks to a Carl Drummer, a crony of Julia Carson (our member in the US House of Representatives). It seems that he has decided to build a tavern in the Julia Carson Federal Building. The tavern has already been built, without any permits being issued, without any public hearings. In addition, the city park has already been demolished without the tiniest bit of public hearing on the process. Instead, the parks department quietly granted a lease. Mind you, our mayor and city council are of the same political party as Julia Carson and her little pet--the tavernkeeper-to-be. Tar, feathers, a rail, a LONG rail, is called for here. The Ohio River is plenty wide and deep to handle a large number of elected officials.

Or, if you're not up for such a vigorous statement, there is going to be another meeting on the matter on October Fourth. Show up.

Advance Indiana has a lot more detail on it than I've got the patience to write.